Detroit is the most populous city in Michigan State in the United States. It is the largest city on the United-States- Canada border located on the Detroit River opposite Windsor, Ontario, Canada. It is a great time to plan a visit to Detroit or the D as it is bustling with new energy, a thriving food scene, great music, an amazing array of attractive places to visit and rich cultural heritage that all make it truly worth visit. Stunningly beautiful museums, art galleries, some of the world’s great theatres, great art scene, home to four major pro sports and the techno music etc make it truly a fantastic destination to visit and enjoy a fun-packed holiday trip. So don’t wait! Fly to Detroit now and enjoy a great holiday trip.
If you are in Detroit you just can’t afford to miss some of its iconic attractions which include:
Detroit Art Institute:- It is a must-visit for every Detroit visitor as it is no less than a Mecca for ant lover. It has a collection of more than 65,000 artworks spanning the entire length of history and civilization.
The Ford Piquette Avenue Plant:- Do visit the Ford Piquette Plant where the Model T was born. It is an iconic building and a national historic landmark that has revolutionized the automotive industry and the centre of manufacturing of the world’s most popular car.
Belle Isle:- Do spend some time at Belle Isle, an island in the Detroit River which is approx three miles long and up to one mile wide. It has a beautiful parkland, hiking trails and sports facilities. It is also home to Dossin Great Lakes Museum which has numerous ship models along with other exhibits to showcase the great history of shipping.
The Detroit Masonic Temple:- You surely love to visit the Detroit Masonic Temple which is truly impressive and is the finest example of Gothic architecture in the United States. The temple is presently used for hosting concerts and events.
Historic Fort Wayne:- You just can’t afford to miss a visit to Fort Wayne which is located in West Jefferson and dating back to 1840. A tour to this side includes old military barracks, dry moat, tunnels and an impressive parade ground along with a Commanding Officer’s House.
Major Airlines fly to Detroit
Major airlines that offer flights to Detroit are:-
- Delta Airlines
- Air Canada
- Jet Airways
- Air France
- Air India
- Virgin Atlantic
- Korean Airways
- United Airlines
- Austrian Airlines
- Qatar Airlines
- Cathy Pacific
- China Eastern
- Japan Airlines
- American Airlines
- British Airways
- JetBlue Airways
- Spirit Airlines
- Frontier Airlines
Best Time to Visit
Detroit has four distinct seasons each of which has its unique charm. Temperatures are hot in summers whereas winters are chilly. Temperatures are moderate in spring and fall and strike a pleasant balance. If you are planning a holiday trip to Detroit then May to September the months of spring and autumn is the best time to visit it. The temperature is warm and the summer sunshine encourages people to indulge in lots of fun-filled outdoor activities.
Major Airports in Detroit
Detroit Metropolitan Airport located at Romulus Michigan is the primary airport serving Detroit. It is one of the busiest airports in Michigan and one of the largest airline hubs in the country.
When to book flights for Detroit
If you are looking for a holiday trip to Detroit then book flights a couple of months before you plan to visit. The cheapest flight to Detroit usually found when departing on Saturday while Sunday is the costliest day to fly. The best time to beat the crowd is December and the most popular time to fly is August.
Useful Travel Tips
- Detroit is a vast, sprawling and charming city with over 100 neighbourhoods and thus you need a car to explore it to the maximum
- If you want to explore the city well within budget then another good option available is the Public Transport System. The QLine Shuttle opened in 2017 connecting various major attractions in the city like Downtown and New Centre is also a good option. It is also a great place to bike so you can avail the rental bike service MoGo which has 43 stations to pick and drop the bike
- Don’t underestimate the weather because in a very short period may be you can experience all the four. So when you are packing for Detroit pack for all seasons
- If you are here then just don’t skip its local food especially rectangular pizza, coney dog and some authentic Middle Eastern food.
- If you love shopping then better do it with the national currency which can be exchanged at numerous banks and specialized exchange offices. All supermarkets, restaurants and gas stations even accept credit cards as well.