Anchorage is the largest city in Alaska situated on the West Coast of the United States. It represents a beautiful blend of urban comforts and amazing wildlife where you can saw a moose, walk on the glacier and explore the vast national park and enjoy a city life that too in a single day. Wedged between mountains, glaciers and abundance of natural beauty it combines the best of city comforts and beautiful wildlife of Alaska that surely leave you spellbound. Home to beautiful art galleries, amazing museums, artist workshops, restaurants serving local delicacies and chic showrooms, Anchorage is truly a great place to be to enjoy an unforgettable holiday experience. So pack your bags and fly to Anchorage a city full of entertaining history and some astonishing facts that surely leave you spellbound.
Surrounded by the beautiful Chugach Mountains, the largest city of Alaska, Anchorage is quite an appealing destination that is full of amazing attractions and scenic sights that you surely love to explore.
Alaska Native Heritage Centre:- The Alaska Native Heritage Centre is truly a worth visit attraction that gives you in-depth look at the lifestyle and cultures of 11 indigenous groups, six traditional dwellings surround the small Lake Tiulana displaying artifacts and dynamic culture with knowledgeable guides and even dance along with dancers on stage.
Chugach State Park:- Spend some time at one of the four largest parks in the country covering the area of 600 square miles is quite popular among visitors. Visitors can indulge her in various thrilling activities like hiking, skiing, camping etc and explore the natural beauty rivers, lakes, mountains and glaciers etc.
Rust's Flying Service:- If you don’t want to miss an opportunity to explore the beauty of Alaska and capture it in your camera then do enjoy flying around it in a bush plane that will surely fulfil your dream. Rust’s has been offering this service since 1963 and giving visitors an opportunity to enjoy sightseeing seaplane tours to Denali National Park, Lake Clark National Park and Preserve along with various surrounding glaciers.
Alaska Wildlife Conservative Centre:-Located an hour in the southeast of Anchorage Alaska Wildlife Conservative Centre offers a permanent home to injured or orphaned wildlife from Alaska in their spacious habitat. On a visit one can get the close-views of various wild animals, can attend various classes, programs, tours to know more about this centre which is run by a non-profit organization.
Anchorage Museum:-There is a no better place to know the history of Alaska better than Anchorage Museum which is a largest museum in the state and offer a world-class experience to its visitors. It offers a compelling overview of people, art, culture and much more fascinating facts about the people and their surroundings is a great place for the whole family.
Major Airports in Anchorage
Major Airports serving the area of Anchorage are:-
- Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport is the major international airport in the U.S state of Alaska. This airport is 6 miles southwest of downtown Anchorage
Major Airlines flying to Anchorage
- Air Canada
- United Airlines
- American Airlines
- Korean Airlines
- Alaska Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- Ravn Airlines
- Allegiant Air
- Condor Flugdienst
When to book flights for Anchorage
If you are planning a holiday trip to Anchorage then booking 53 days in advance to your planned departure to get the best flight deals. The cheapest month to fly to Anchorage is April while the expensive month is July. The United Airlines, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines and Korean Air are the frequent flyers to Anchorage. Tuesday is the most economical day to take a flight to Anchorage while Sunday is most costly.
Best time to Visit
For enjoying a great holiday trip at Anchorage plan your visit according to the climatic conditions. The best time to visit at Anchorage is summers due to nice weather, clear sky and blooming flower beds. Starting from mid-May to mid-September is truly the best time to see the best of Alaska state and the primary Alaska Railroad Routes which operate only this time frame. The peak season to visit is from mid-June to mid-August. It opened a lot of tour options, best climatic conditions and opportunities to explore the amazing wildlife of the region.
Useful travel tips
- Getting around the city is quite easy as it has lot of public transport option such as Uber and Lyft. There are also standard yellow cab taxi companies and buses which are fairly reliable, cheap and on time.
- Another good option to explore the city is through bikes as Anchorage is one of the most bike-friendly cities in America with around 135 miles of cycling paths. If you want to explore the city on your own then you can also rent a car but parking is free here only after 6 pm on weekdays and all day Saturday and Sunday.
- In addition to sightseeing in anchorage one should consider flightseeing as it offers a great opportunity to enjoy an aerial view of Alaska and to capture its magnificent beauty. It is truly an unforgettable way to experience the stunning natural beauty of Anchorage.
- Marijuana is legal and thus according to new legislation for Alaska to start opening pot shops. If you are 21 years you can buy and carry up to an ounce of weed. To purchase it you have a ID proof and need to pay in cash only.
- Smoking is not allowed at public places under the state law.